Viera, FL– June 22, 2017-The USSSA Pride are heading back to Firestone Stadium to take on the Beijing Eagles and the Akron Racers in a four game series starting June 23rd.
The series will kick off with a double header, the first of the 2017 season, against the Eagles and the Racers on the 23rd. First pitch for game one of the double header is set for 5:05 PM (ET) with a 7:35 PM (ET) start time for game two. Game three against the Akron Racers on June 24th is set for a 7:05 PM (ET) start time and the series will end on the 25th with game four at 6:35 PM (ET). All four games will be streamed live on NPFTV.
Although the Pride lost their home opener to the Racers earlier this month, the Pride came back with two straight wins to clinch the series 2-1. Since then, the Pride have gone on to win six games on the road. This will be the first time the Pride will be facing the NPF’s newest team, the Beijing Eagles since they joined the league this summer.
The Pride currently stand at the top of the league with a 8-2 record. In ten games, the Pride have scored 63 runs, with 12 home runs, 57 RBI and averaged a .500 slugging percentage. The Pride pitching staff has totaled 58 strikeouts and have averaged a 1.70 ERA.
Friday, June 23rd 5:05 PM (EST)
Friday June 23rd 7:35 PM (EST)
Saturday, June 24th 7:05 PM (EST)
Sunday, June 25th 6:35 PM (EST)
Pride Players to Watch:
- Kelly Kretschman: Kelly currently leads the league in batting average (.600), on-base percentage (.722) and slugging percentage (1.040). She leads the Pride in hits (15), batting average (.600), triples (1) and on-base percentage.
- Sierra Romero: Is leading the Pride team in RBI (10) and home runs (3) tied with Lauren Chamberlain. She currently has the 2nd-best slugging percentage on the team with .714 just behind Kretschman. Romero is also averaging a .414 on-base percentage.
- Lauren Chamberlain: Is leading the Pride with 3 home runs, tied with Sierra Romero. Chamberlain has 8 hits, 9 RBI, 5 runs scored with a .276 batting average and a .371 on-base percentage. She won Vaultz player of the game in the Pride’s last game against the Texas Charge following a performance that garnered 6 RBI, two hits, a double and a 3-run home run.
- Megan Wiggins: Megan currently leads the team in runs (10), stolen bases (6) and doubles (3) tied with Kretschman, Chamberlain and Duran. She has 8 hits, 4 RBI, and is currently hitting .333.
- Keilani Ricketts: In 18.2 innings pitched, Keilani has struck out 18 batters and has an ERA of .75 with a 3-1 overall record.
Akron Players to Watch:
- Taylor Schlopy: Earned her second straight All-NPF honor, as an All-NPF outfielder. Tied for the team lead with 34 runs scored and 10 doubles. Broke the franchise record for career runs scored and career hits on July 11th, 2016 and August 6, 2016 respectively.
- Kelly Montalvo: 2016 All-NPF Third Baseman, her third consecutive All-NPF Selection. Montalvo tied Lisa Norris in her seventh season as the longest tenured Racers. Finished third in the NPF with 84 assists and had a .979 fielding percentage. Set personal season bests with 49 games played and 31 hits. Batted .231 with 22 runs scored and 17 RBI.
- AJ Andrews: First female athlete to win a Rawlings Gold Glove Award. Co-winner of the Rally Spikes Award for most stolen bases in the NPF with 15. Produced 30 hits, 24 runs, 7 doubles and 10 RBI. Hit her first professional home run on June 28, 2016. Earned ESPN SportsCenter’s #1 play on July 23, 2016 with a diving catch against the USSSA Pride.
- This series features two former Alabama players, one on the Pride roster Kelly Kretschman and one on the Racers roster Kelly Montalvo. Kretschman graduated in 2001, while Montalvo graduated in 2009.
- This is the first time the Pride will face the Beijing Eagles this season.
- The Beijing Eagles are the first professional Chinese team to join the NPF.
About USSSA Florida Pride:
The USSSA Florida Pride is a professional franchise in the National Pro Fastpitch League that is owned and operated by USSSA. The amateur organization of USSSA has multi-sport coverage and encompasses teams and players from the United States and abroad.
About National Pro Fastpitch (NPF):
National Pro Fastpitch (NPF), an Official Development Partner of Major League Baseball since 2004, provides elite female athletes with an opportunity to pursue a professional career in fastpitch softball beyond their collegiate and amateur success. The NPF affiliate teams consist of the Akron Racers, Beijing Shougang Eagles, Chicago Bandits, Scrap Yard Dawgs, Texas Charge and USSSA Florida Pride for the 2017 season. National Pro Fastpitch players hail from the United States, Australia, Canada and China among which are the most accomplished and talented athletes in the sport of women’s softball.
USSSA is headquartered in Osceola County, Florida. USSSA is the World’s Largest Multi-sport Athletic Organization. Founded in 1968, USSSA has grown to over 3.7 million participants, competing in 13 nationally sanctioned sports including Baseball, Fastpitch, Slow Pitch, Karate, Basketball, Soccer and more! For more information on USSSA and to register your team visit USSSA.com. Also be sure to visit USSSAToday.com for the latest USSSA.